Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Sweeper.

If you have never played competitive soccer, you may not be familiar with the term.  In soccer, your "sweeper" is your last line of defense before your goalkeeper.  The sweeper is a position you definitely appreciate having on your soccer team.  Not so much on your sales team.

Although my job is not commission based, I am hyper aware of my sales performance.  I am kind of an attention whore.  I like to be the one getting all the praise for my hard work; when I've earned it.  I cannot stand that proverbial creeper anyone in sales has encountered who lurks around listening in on everyone's sales just waiting for their moment to butt in and steal that sale.  Sweeper!

When I have spent a length time dumbing down all the technological jargon and endured the idiotic questions customers inevitably always ask, I should at the very least be rewarded by the increase on my sales performance grid.  Why should I do all the leg work just to have the sweeper show up right in the nick of time and tell that customer, "Oh hey, I see Stef's explained *insert product here* to you.  I bet she did an amazing job.  Well if you're ready, I can ring you up right here."

How do you come back from that.  I'm sure I cannot start an argument in front of the customer as if they were some knock off handbag at your local flea market.  That would not go over well.  What's a girl to do?  

Sweepers across the land, do your own work.  Find your own customers.  And most importantly, stay out of my sales, before I chuck all caution to the wind, refuse social norms and derby check your ass across the store.  Thank you and have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment