Saturday, March 26, 2011

Would You Like A Credit Card?



I wish I could take credit for this amazing cinematic masterpiece.  That fact does not take away from its message.  Working retail, I have had the opportunity to work with some real douchebags.  I'm not sure what it is that makes a person throw all logic out the window upon achieving slight corporate success, but the mere fact this video was made by another affiliate of the company I work for, not the STORE I work in, is proof that once you are "leadership," you become a pod person.

Now, I can't be too upset. Working for this company has provided me with enough literary commentary to last my entire career (can it be considered a career if I make no money? Hmm...).  But one has to ask, when is the line drawn between setting realistic expectations for employees and tyranny?

A colleague of mine who works in a different state received an email from a district manager promising terminations for those employees who do not sign up at least one person a day for a new credit card. Hm.  How is one to FORCE a credit card upon a reasonable minded American who understands the way to crawl out of this recession is NOT to dig yourself deeper into debt?  It's pretty difficult to argue with logic.  Oh.....wait......

His rationale? Well you can't work at McDonald's if you can't attach french fries to every order!  I don't know about you, but when I head to the local McDee's for a shake, I don't care how nice the dude at the window is; I don't want fries.  Telling me how adding fries to my order will improve my quality of life is not going to make me anymore inclined to purchase them. If I wanted fries, I would have fucking ordered fries.  Thank you, drive around.

I am, however, extremely interested to see how this plays out.  I know my company employs a significant amount of morons, but I have to believe that there are at least a few educated people scattered throughout this company who will grasp the illegality of this move.  Wouldn't it be hilarious to see a company go under as a result of owing too many unemployment benefits for unrightfully terminating employees?  So your credit card scheme actually HURT your business? Huh. Who would have thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment